High School Musical 3.
So I watched High School Musical 3 today.
Now honestly, I'd say it was good. Better than its predecessors by a mile. Or several.
Corny? To a certain extent, yes. In the cinema I was peeled on to the screen waiting for something cheesy to happen, and "God" forbid, it happened. Vanexxxa and Zac started singing in the rain. This really pissed me off. I'm sure the producers know about the criticism HSM gets for being corny and YET they had to put a scene as such in to the movie. I mean.. WHY?
Anyways, a couple songs are catchy (for real this time). The dancing is brilliantly choreographed as always. The movie however loses steam right up to the midpoint where all hope for it is pretty much lost. Then, it surprisingly picks up the pace right after, in more ways than one. I wouldn't want to spoil it for you people so I'll just leave that be. Lets just say the story line isn't as predictable as you'd think it'd be this time around.
However, the more this movie progressed to its close, I couldn't help but feel that heightened sense of nostalgia. The movie plays out in such a way that you'll have mixed feelings of joy and nostalgia, wherein you come to a realization that 'damn! it's actually coming to an end. you know, no more "What Time Is It?"s or "WILDCATS!" or "Getcha' head in the game"s. No more corny one liners, no more cliched story lines, and such.
Hate it or love it, most of you've watched all three of them. You will miss criticizing it or enjoying it, whichever you saw fit to do in the past.
As this attempted review comes to a close, I'd like to point that there probably WILL be more High School Musicals in the future. Circumstances are such that it has been made possible (with ingenious planning by the producers of course) but it won't be the same. Without names like Zac Efron and Vanexxxa Hudgens, it just won't be the same and this series will crumble to the ground.
But I don't really care anyways. I'm always going to remember the first three, the trilogy that started everything. I'm going to remember how HSM became a fad in schools across Penang for a certain time. How SOME people learned the dance moves to We're All In This Together (yes Siew Chai, you're no exempt). I'm going to remember humming its tunes just to piss people off. (oh btw I'm still going to do that since it's fun) and pretty much how it's just been such a phenomenon all over the world.
This third movie pretty much covers everything that is needed to fill in the blanks (if any) left by its predecessors. Continuing it with a different cast will dilute its effect on everyone. So my advice to Disney, NO MORE HSM. Move on to something else.
Personally, it took me a while to snap out of the effect the last few scenes of the movie gave me. It was just all that nostalgia I guess. Walking out of that cinema signalled the end of 'High School Musical' for me, the end of a phase and the end, whether you want to admit it or not, of an era.
What time is it? Time to attempt to study. Ciao.
PS: Happy 84th Birthday, tata!
(that's my grandad btw)
Now honestly, I'd say it was good. Better than its predecessors by a mile. Or several.
Corny? To a certain extent, yes. In the cinema I was peeled on to the screen waiting for something cheesy to happen, and "God" forbid, it happened. Vanexxxa and Zac started singing in the rain. This really pissed me off. I'm sure the producers know about the criticism HSM gets for being corny and YET they had to put a scene as such in to the movie. I mean.. WHY?
Anyways, a couple songs are catchy (for real this time). The dancing is brilliantly choreographed as always. The movie however loses steam right up to the midpoint where all hope for it is pretty much lost. Then, it surprisingly picks up the pace right after, in more ways than one. I wouldn't want to spoil it for you people so I'll just leave that be. Lets just say the story line isn't as predictable as you'd think it'd be this time around.
However, the more this movie progressed to its close, I couldn't help but feel that heightened sense of nostalgia. The movie plays out in such a way that you'll have mixed feelings of joy and nostalgia, wherein you come to a realization that 'damn! it's actually coming to an end. you know, no more "What Time Is It?"s or "WILDCATS!" or "Getcha' head in the game"s. No more corny one liners, no more cliched story lines, and such.
Hate it or love it, most of you've watched all three of them. You will miss criticizing it or enjoying it, whichever you saw fit to do in the past.
As this attempted review comes to a close, I'd like to point that there probably WILL be more High School Musicals in the future. Circumstances are such that it has been made possible (with ingenious planning by the producers of course) but it won't be the same. Without names like Zac Efron and Vanexxxa Hudgens, it just won't be the same and this series will crumble to the ground.
But I don't really care anyways. I'm always going to remember the first three, the trilogy that started everything. I'm going to remember how HSM became a fad in schools across Penang for a certain time. How SOME people learned the dance moves to We're All In This Together (yes Siew Chai, you're no exempt). I'm going to remember humming its tunes just to piss people off. (oh btw I'm still going to do that since it's fun) and pretty much how it's just been such a phenomenon all over the world.
This third movie pretty much covers everything that is needed to fill in the blanks (if any) left by its predecessors. Continuing it with a different cast will dilute its effect on everyone. So my advice to Disney, NO MORE HSM. Move on to something else.
Personally, it took me a while to snap out of the effect the last few scenes of the movie gave me. It was just all that nostalgia I guess. Walking out of that cinema signalled the end of 'High School Musical' for me, the end of a phase and the end, whether you want to admit it or not, of an era.
What time is it? Time to attempt to study. Ciao.
PS: Happy 84th Birthday, tata!
(that's my grandad btw)
Labels: random happenings
t.write(a+' comments');}
leave a response