Vienna, Austria Part. 4
Vienna, Austria. Part 4.
6. Feliz Navidad
Considering the fact that the whole point of going to Vienna was FOR Christmas, we didn't really do much on the 25th. It was pretty simple. The simple dinner, with the simple turkey, with the simple champagne, with the simple Christmas songs, with the simple Barackhristmas Tree. :D You see, Atam's a loyal democrat and he's supporting Barack Obama. So instead of decorating his christmas tree (which was a REAL tree btw) with ornaments, he just hung Obama badges and stuff. It was very the cool. I don't think I've told you in the previous posts right? Atam works in the United Nations. He's posted in Vienna so that's why he lives there. As soon as he's done there and gets posted somewhere else, we won't be able to stay at that awesome place of his. Let's hope he stays put :D
7. Prague
We hopped over to Prague for a while. My uncle's wife's sister lives in Prague so we went to visit for a night. My nieces are ADORABLLLLLLLLLLE and super friendly too. I was like hi. Next thing I know they were dragging me to go play with them and they like kissing my face LOL
Anyways, we walked quite a bit in Prague. We went to the Metronome (go read up yourselves), saw the Astronomical Clock, went on the picturesque Charles Bridge ( I think you'll recall contestants from the Amazing Race Asia Season 2 having to find a route info on this bridge ) and visited Prague Castle.
Charles Bridge is pretty long and connects 2 different parts of Prague. ( Prague is split in to 7 parts I think, named Prague 1, Prague 2, Prague 3 and so on ) There are lots of statues on the bridge that depict various saints, patron saints and sculptors. There are also these stalls set up on the bridge that sell stuff (seriously) and mimes. MIMES :D
Prague Castle is one of the largest castles in the world. It's full of old ancient stuff and the architecture is yet again.. amazing. Hilarious(?) note : Nobody has anything against the likes of the Czech Republic (Prague's in CR fools) and Austria. It's so safe that even the prime minister of Prague needs no security. The prime minister's primary headquarter is in the castle itself. So when we were there, he just drove in. HE DROVE IN. He got out of the car and just walked in. Nobody paid any attention to him. He just walked in like any other person living in Prague. Now compare this to Malaysia. Even for one relatively unknown minister, there'll be like 50 patrol bikes clearing the way for him -.-
We met up with my uncle from England who came to Prague for the weekend. Walked around and visited an art museum. It wasn't exactly a museum per say buttt it was more like an art gallery! Right that was the word I was looking for. Pretty cool too. Though some of the paintings looked horrible and were still admired. There was one of a goat and two ducks. Yes, I remember that one. It was my favorite of the lot.
Uncle H and family stayed at the Hilton Prague. So we just went along for a while and said our goodbyes since they were leaving the next day. It is here, that I finally got around to using the net properly and I messaged Chong on MSN. ( Chong this is for you. You better be reading this )
So they left. We went back to Vienna. It was the 30th of December.
8. Vienna lol
Gosh I've just realised how I have hardly told you ANYTHING about Vienna. Vienna's old. The buildings are old. WELL PRESERVED. It's beautiful lah. I don't know what else to say. It's just beautiful.
People travel around in carriages pulled by horses, hot dogs can be bought EVERYWHERE, special delicacy : hot chocolate mira schlag (hot chocolate with whipped cream), full of museums ( history museums, art museums, weapon and armory museums, nature museums, most of which I managed to go to) and two major palaces (one of which I went to, called the Schonbrunn which I'll cover slightly later)
Not forgetting choir performances and orchestral performances. Vienna is where the great composers Ludwig van Beethoven and Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart were born. Music's always been a major part of Vienna. There are a couple of major opera houses that lay host to many weekly performances by the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra. We managed to go to one of the shows. Personally, it's not my cup of tea but the other enjoyed it and it wasn't HALF bad (for me that is).
Labels: reminiscences
t.write(a+' comments');}
leave a response